Tuesday, January 8, 2008

So I Had a Bad Day

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns out wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong
And I'm not wrong

So you had a bad day...

Yesterday I kept humming the tune to Daniel Powter's song "So you Had a Bad Day" all day long and for good reason. I checked out the lyrics this morning and found that the above verse of the song summed it all up for me.

What happens when some of the technology that you depend on goes on the blink? Your whole day goes all wrong. At least I did make it back, so to speak, to what I hope is a better day.

Hopefully, I'll stay strong for the rest of the week as I try to complete a massive to do list that was put on hold by awful weather and bad luck. My power is back on after a severe thunderstorm with hail, thunder, and lightening knocked it out at 9:14 p.m., a minute before the tornado warning in the area was supposed to end. The power came back on at 7 a.m. this morning.

My nine year old with autism has a two hour delay today due to the power outages. He doesn't do well with delays so his teacher is probably in for a time with him. A delay throws the whole schedule of the school day off and that bothers him. My morning will be thrown off a bit too, because after I get him to school I have some clean up to do in the basement. We don't have a back-up sump pump (we'll get one soon) and the basement was really wet this morning after the ten hour outage.

Anyway, my son (not I) lucked out yesterday because he didn't have to deal with a delay. The fog that permeated the air on Sunday, was thicker on Monday as the air heated up to near record temperatures for this time of year. I think it was supposed to be around fifty four degrees yesterday. It was jacket weather. The fog hung around so long yesterday that school went from being delayed to being cancelled. It was a bummer for me because I was hoping things would go back to normal after a very stressful holiday season.

My little guy, however, did get to go to his afternoon preschool. Usually, when the public school system cancels school, his preschool teacher who runs her school in a local church cancels the preschool as well. Yesterday she decided not to cancel, because by the time his day was supposed to start at 1 p.m. the fog had lifted. I was glad for that because my two boys were starting to fight quite a bit so the two and a half hour separation seemed like a nice reprieve.

The power outage and school cancellation were not the only stress factors of the day. After picking up my little guy at 3:30, we ran some errands. I rewarded their good behavior in the grocery store by stopping off at Family Video to pick up some kid videos for them and The Waitress for me. Bad luck hit when I tried to start our minivan back up to drive us back home. The engine wouldn't turn over. I think it might have been the starter.

The one device that came through for me during that day was my mobile phone which is ironic because I am an old fashioned girl who prefers the reliability of land lines. (We get a lot of dropped calls in my area.) It was just a bit of luck that I had the darned thing in my purse and that it was actually all charged up. Also had a telephone book in my van (as a result of advice a friend had given me years ago), so I looked up the garage I usually go to and called for a tow truck. The boys were delighted as most little boys are when they see a vehicle being hitched up by a machine to the truck. I think they also liked the ride in the truck to the garage (to drop off the van) and to home. Cell phones, are good for emergencies I guess.

The mobile phone also came in handy when the power was knocked out. I wasn't prepared at all for that to happen. Wishful thinking I guess. It was dark and we couldn't see a thing. I went to the basement and felt for our flashlight on a ledge. Found it, but the batteries were dead. Darn. The next step was to find matches for the candles I keep in my foyer closet. That's not an easy task because I usually have to dig in the cupboards for them. (Note to self: put some matches in the box of candles. Feeling around it the dark for a pack didn't work. Looking for purse and retrieving the light providing mobile phone did. The matches were found in two minutes using the light from my phone which came in handy not once but twice in a single day where everything else I depended on in a technical sense failed.

Hope my day goes better today...


Elissa - Managing Autism said...

I struggled to come around to using the mobile phone - now it sometimes feels like I've never been without it!

J said...

I guess it's just a matter of adjustment. Mobile phones can really come in handy.